Squareroot Construction is dedicated to the following principles:
- Create collaborative and respectful relationships with everyone we work with – customers, employees, suppliers, designers, and subcontractors.
- Provide meaningful jobs and a living wage to our employees
- Build projects that complement and enhance their neighborhoods
- Build projects that weather well and will last for a lifetime and beyond
- Be environmentally sensitive in our business practices
- Offer our clients environmentally conscientious building alternatives and actively promote the use of alternative energy in our projects whenever possible
- Give back to the community through a portion of our profits and through volunteer efforts
Mark O’Brian and Andrew Gibson founded Squareroot in 2003. They have been working together since 1995 when they were both hired on the same day by a local engineering consulting company that specialized in large scale transportation and environmental projects. Mark was about 2 years out of CU with a degree in Civil Engineering, and Andrew was a graduate student at CU Denver in the School of Architecture and Planning. They worked together on a number of projects throughout the West as consulting Project Managers including transportation work and mixed use developments.
We are profoundly grateful for the opportunity to own and operate Squareroot because the work is so satisfying and provides such positive, concrete meaning to so many people. We view Squareroot not as just a construction company, but as a vehicle for positive change in our community. Sometimes in the thick of construction when you are on the working end of a shovel it does not seem like what we do is so lofty. However, we believe that change starts small and is best accomplished by those living and working in the community. We see it as our responsibility to contribute in whatever way we can to our city and the successful and profitable operation of Squareroot allows us to do just that.
At the heart of Squareroot is the desire to create projects that complement and enhance our neighborhoods. We did not start the company because we had to, we did it because we wanted to. Everyone that works for Squareroot does so because of their dedication to their craft and their desire to get it right.
ANDREW E. GIBSON
Andrew has 22 years of project management experience in residential and mixed-use projects. With undergraduate degrees in Business Administration and English, and a graduate degree in Urban Planning from the CU College of Architecture and Planning, Andrew’s strengths lie in excellent communication, project management and overall professional design.
MARK J. O’ BRIAN, P.E.
A CU Boulder graduate, Mark is a licensed professional engineer since 1999 with emphasis in civil and structural engineering. Mark’s 15 years of experience affords a practical approach to building site challenges. He is a master at quick assessments, creative solutions and going the extra mile to complete projects.